Author Topic: 1993/94 F A Vase v Clevedon Town  (Read 623 times)

Steve S

1993/94 F A Vase v Clevedon Town
« on: July 28, 2018, 09:57:12 AM »
On 11 December 1993 Wimborne travelled to Southern League Clevedon Town in the F A Vase and pulled off a surprise 4-3 win after extra time. Allan and Lovell both scored twice for Wimborne, one each in normal time, and one each in extra time but does anybody know the actual goal times of that match, and the half time score in normal time. I was at the game and was sent the details a few years ago but a computer error meant I lost them. Can anyone help me complete my match records please? Thanks for any help you can offer. 

Nigel Scott

Re: 1993/94 F A Vase v Clevedon Town
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2018, 07:32:36 PM »
I have a programme of same game but nothing written inside on the day I'm afraid. I have subsequent home game progs but there is no match report in the following week's issue, other than what we already know:- 4-2 aet, Jason Lovell (Jack's dad) 2, Mark Allan 2.

Something you may have details or a recollection of: FA Vase Sat 23rd Nov 1996 at home v. Backwell Utd. Appears to have been replayed at Cuthbury Weds 27th Nov 1996. In the Secretary's Notes of a hastily reprinted prog it says "Saturday's problems were obviously disappointing for us all but that is in the past and lets hope the match can start afresh tonight and we can put the past behind us" Clearly something kicked off in one sense or another and looks like the Sat match was abandoned?

Incidentally, I have recently obtained some copies of WTFC team photos from 60>70 years ago. Apart from one player living in Corfe Mullen and another in Ferndown, they were all Wimborne men.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2018, 07:34:07 PM by Nigel Scott »

Steve S

« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2018, 08:30:44 PM »
Hi Nigel, thanks for looking for me, much appreciated. I was at the game and I know the Clevedon paper didn't offer too much.

Not sure about the Backwell 1996 reference, I'd happily look it up in the Clevedon Mercury for you as they usually covered Backwell matches, although they'd turned into an advertising freebie by then and the coverage wasn't as good. Sadly though I live in North Norfolk now and the Mercury isn't online so I can't check it for you. Backwell United were a fairly quiet club though and I'm not sure what might have happened at that match to cause a cancellation...

Yogi

« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2018, 07:32:40 AM »
If my memory serves me right the game was abandoned due to foodlight failure with Backwell winning the game.

As not enough minutes had been played for the result to stand the game had to be rearranged.

kenfergus

« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2018, 08:04:57 AM »
I believe Backwell were winning 3-0 when the lights went out.   Embarrassing forcthe Club particularly as we won the rearranged game comfortably! In those days the lights seemed to go out whenever the wind blew.

magpies.graham

« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2018, 07:41:49 PM »
The answer, my friend, is blowin' in the wind ...

kenfergus

« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2018, 03:26:10 PM »
On 11 December 1993 Wimborne travelled to Southern League Clevedon Town in the F A Vase and pulled off a surprise 4-3 win after extra time. Allan and Lovell both scored twice for Wimborne, one each in normal time, and one each in extra time but does anybody know the actual goal times of that match, and the half time score in normal time. I was at the game and was sent the details a few years ago but a computer error meant I lost them. Can anyone help me complete my match records please? Thanks for any help you can offer.

Hi Steve S,
Apologies for taking so long to post this information - I still haven't got all my WTFC stuff organised properly following my move a year ago!
The game was played in a howling gale which blew straight down the pitch.  Wimborne had the wind behind them in the first half and were well on top when they went behind on 18 minutes to a goal from Shaun Penny for Clevedon following a defensive error.  The Magpies levelled on 37 minutes through Mark "Stroller" Allan and the match was tied at the break.
Despite now playing into the teeth of the gale, Wimborne took the lead for the first time on 65 minutes with a goal from Cuthbury legend Jason Lovell who held off two challenges before shooting powerfully inside the post.  That lead was held until the third minute of added time when Gary Fulbrook picked up a long free-kick and sent the game into extra time.
Clevedon continued to have the advantage of the wind for the first 15 minutes of extra time and took the lead through Shaun Penny on 99 minutes.  Back came the Magpies, however, and when Danny Saxby's left wing corner came across on 103 minutes, there was Jason Lovell to head home for his second goal.
All square at the break, then, and it was Wimborne Town now on the ascendancy with the gale at their backs.  Wimborne hit the bar on 109 minutes but weren't to be denied and, with just 2 minutes of extra time remaining, man of the match Mark Allan surged forward to chest down a long pass and shoot past Davies in the home goal despite the attentions of two defenders.
The Wimborne Town team was Flower, Fletcher, Lynn, Loveridge Taplin, Saxby, Allan, Turner (Onuorah 105), Killick, Lovell, Bridle.  unused sub: Phillips.
This was a magnificent battling performance by Wimborne Town and ranks alongside any win by the Magpies in the past 30 years.  And I should add that the Clevedon support were gracious in defeat and very complimentary about our performance.  A day to remember.

Steve S

« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2018, 07:56:14 PM »
Hi Ken

Many, many thanks for that information and for taking the time to post it on this forum, exactly what I wanted and just 4 more Clevedon snippets (all Southern League scorers or goal times) needed now to complete my season's records. Sadly none of the clubs have even acknowledged my requests for information yet so Wimborne must take a bow !

You mention Mark Allan as scoring twice in that match and he actually joined Clevedon in March 1994, played just twice (including one as sub) and then returned, I think, back to Wimborne, never to be seen again at Clevedon. It was a funny old season for Clevedon, we signed some big name players, spent far too much money but at least had a great season as a result, paying the price a few years later....

Thanks again and best of luck to you for the rest of the season.   

kenfergus

« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2018, 09:30:29 AM »
I believe Backwell were winning 3-0 when the lights went out.   Embarrassing for the Club particularly as we won the rearranged game comfortably! In those days the lights seemed to go out whenever the wind blew.

I posted the above information a few weeks back. I now see from my records that Backwell were winning 2-1 when Ron kicked the floodlights the floodlights failed. Embarrassing enough, though!

Nigel Scott

« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2018, 07:28:11 PM »
Thank you Ken, I will print out the details and tuck inside the programme for future reference. No doubt the grandsons will treasure this info one day, prior to it all going in the recycling!

Timos the Greek

« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2018, 08:43:04 PM »
I went to this match on the coach to this match and for me Mark 'Stroller' Allan was immense in midfield. I recall a spot of 'handbags' behind the goal between the two sets of fans but nothing to worry about.